Monday, January 25, 2010

Pumpkin Cinnamon Spice Cake, or Bread, or Cake...with Maple Frosting. Yummo



I'm supposed to be keeping away from sweets, but as I've mentionned in my ''Sabotage'' blog, that's not really working out. So, in keeping with my utter failure, and to make myself feel better, I made cake, er... bread... or cake. Let's call it bread for the sole purpose of making  it sound healthier than it is... At least it's not too processed, as it is made from scratch.

I've made this recipe before. I messed it up a little the first time... and this morning, apparently, I didn't learn anything from my previous experience. The recipe calls for a 13 X 10 banking pan. I don't have a 13 X 10 baking pan, so I used whatever round cake pan I had. Mistake. This made the 30 minute baking time turn into 1h15 minutes, the worst part... when sticking a sharp knife in the middle to verify the doneness, although it came out clean... the middle was still kind of mushy. In any case, it still remained one of the very bestest delicacies (cake, bread...whatever), I have ever eaten! (that doesn't have any chocolate). Ok, back to what I was saying... I didn't learn. I still don't own a 13X10 dish (note to self: buy one!). And so this time, I used a bread pan (so I can respectfully call it bread right?) Well, after an hour and a half (recipe calls for 30 minutes ?!?!?), I took my cake (bread) out, tested with a knife, (came out clean), and flipped the pan to remove the cake *bread* from it. and the cake *bread* split down the middle with oozy pumpkin.... crap. What did I do? Stuffed it all back in the pan and tossed it back in the oven for 15 minutes. It came out ready.... and a complete disaster. Ha!


I cut up the cake in pieces, it's AMAZING.... presentation lacking, it is ever so tasty. Without the frosting, it could actually qualify as a pumpkin bread. Really! But, I did make the frosting as well... and decided I'll put some on only a few pieces.... aren't I reasonable! :0)

Here's the recipe! Enjoy this.... cake.....er.. bread.... yummo!

Ingredients:

3 Eggs

1 2/3 cups granulated sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

15 oz can pumpkin

2 cups sifted all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

(frosting)

4 oz package of cream cheese (softened)

1/2 cup softened unsalted butter

1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar (AKA icing sugar)

2 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use only one, but I (heart) the taste.. loves it!

2-3 tablespoons maple syrup

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


1. Using an electric mixer  combine eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin well blended.

2. Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.

3. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until smooth.

4. Spread the batter into a greased 13 x 10 in. baking pan.  The pan size makes a huge difference in the cook time... Good Luck!

5. Let bake 30 minutes. or an hour and 30 minutes like me if you're using a 9.5X5.5X2.75 bread dish...

6. Cool completely before frosting

ICING:


Combine cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl (with an electric mixer) until smooth.

1. Add sugar and mix at low speed until combined.

2. Stir in vanilla and maple syrup and mix again.

Spread generously and savour!



Post a Comment

0 COMMENTS: